Boy Scouting in Stuarts Draft
Boy Scout Troops
The first Boy Scout troop in Stuarts Draft was formed in 1912. The Scoutmaster was Jason H. “Chick” Weaver, Jr. and the troop met in a room over the original post office, now demolished. Former members recall annual trips to Grand Caverns in Grottoes, using the train for transportation.
Troop 37 was formed on September 3, 1931 and was chartered to the Community League. James C. Wool, pastor of Finley Memorial Presbyterian Church, was the Scoutmaster and the troop met in the schoolhouse. The troop was dropped from the rolls on December 31, 1932.
Troop 52 formed in November 1941, chartered to the Stuarts Draft Ruritan Club with John Alton Brown as the Scoutmaster, then E.T. Almarode in 1942. The troop was then chartered to the White Hill Church of the Brethren in 1943; the Scoutmaster was William Foley. The troop was dropped March 1947.
Troop 84 was formed on May 1, 1951, chartered to the Stuarts Draft Council of Churches with Thomas R. Bush as the Scoutmaster. The troop used the building at the corner of what is now Draft Avenue and Cambridge Drive. The troop was then chartered to the Ruritans in 1955 until it was dropped on April 1, 1973.
In January 1974, Troop 84 was reformed and chartered to the Stuarts Draft Lions Club and met at the firehouse. In 1982, the troop was chartered to the Stuarts Draft Jaycees, and then to the Stuarts Draft Ruritan Club in 1983; the meeting place was changed to Finley Memorial Presbyterian Church. For most of 1994, the church building was undergoing an expansion and the troop met at Stuarts Draft Baptist Church before returning to Finley. In 2006, the troop changed their sponsor to Calvary United Methodist Church and began meeting at the church.
Troop 349 split from Troop 84 in 1997; the Scoutmaster was Steven G. Pustaver and the chartering organization was the Daily News Leader. The unit never rechartered.
Cub Scout Packs
Pack 84 existed as early as 1958 and was chartered to the Ruritans. The pack was chartered to Finley Memorial Presbyterian Church from 1968 until it was dropped in March 1972. The pack reformed in March 1975 and was chartered to the Ruritans until it dropped in 2001.
Pack 349 split from Pack 84 in 1996 and was chartered to Central Baptist Church. The charter moved to the Daily News Leader in 1998 and then to Calvary United Methodist Church in 2000.
Post 84 was chartered in May 1960 to the Ruritans and dropped in 1961. The Advisor was C. James Harrison, III.
Speight, C. Allen. “SD Boy Scout Troops Date Back to 1912”. Stuarts Draft Hub (The News-Virginian): pp. 1-2, February 11, 1977.
Application for Renewal of Troop Charter. Boy Scouts of America. December 1945.
Application for Troop Charter. Boy Scouts of America. May 1, 1951.
Troop 84 Charter. Boys Scouts of America. January 31, 1982